Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Love Notes

Playette loves a good note. 

When I put one in her lunchbox as a surprise, she gets very excited when she finds it. She watches me intently when I write notes to her teacher every Tuesday regarding her need for a change in dismissal routine. Her eyes light up when BD leaves her a message on the easel in the kitchen.

When I need just a little break for clarity's sake and I tell her to sit down with her magna doodle, she immediately will start to write "notes" to all kinds of people, for all kinds of reasons. These are not particularly easy to discern. She knows what they say though.

This morning, I came downstairs expecting to find her in her usual seat at the counter in the kitchen where BD typically sets her up with a bowl of cereal or oatmeal before he leaves for work. 

My heart stopped for a moment when she wasn't there. I called her name and she answered, but I couldn't see her. I was very confused for a few seconds and then I realized where she was.

I found her seated on the floor on the other side of the island from where I had been standing. She was quiet and there didn't look to be any chaos or broken items, so I began to relax.

But then I noticed what she had: a pen. Oh, no.

The panic returned. What did she write on?

She proudly held out to me the answer to my question. It was a very small spiral notebook with a purple plastic cover. I recognized it because for the last couple of months I've been using it to record everything I eat. (That's a whole story in itself that maybe I will share later.)

"No big deal," I thought. Whatever she wrote really couldn't have hurt anything. I felt grateful that the only damage was contained in a $0.99 item purchased from CVS.

As I began to take out the items I needed for breakfast and her lunch, I casually flipped through the notebook. I had to laugh.

First, she tagged it. She wrote her name and she wrote the word "Book." I've never seen her write like this before - y'know, spontaneously and appropriately. Usually, she'll just write what one of us dictates. I was actually really happy! 


This is so her though. She is extremely territorial, even with stuff that doesn't actually belong to her.

This next one was pretty cute because when she says that she loves me she says it like "I love-a you."


So, either she's writing it the way she hears it or what looks like an "a" is actually a "u".

Maybe I will ask her to read it to me tomorrow and see what she says.

Either way, I love-a it.



0 comments: